January 26, 2023
Willpower and motivation are great... But don't rely on them.
They both come and go. If we rely on them too heavily, we'll find ourselves stuck in a cycle of starting and stopping, and should not be the driving force behind our actions. Implement systems, routines, and habits so they're a bonus instead.
Here are 4 of my favorite ways to do this:
(with examples for each)
1. Implement Checklists
Checklists are great tools to ensure that nothing is missed and increase accountability.
- Workout checklist
- Pre-travel checklist
- Weekly cleaning checklist
- Project planning checklist
- Monthly bookkeeping and accounting checklist
2. Start Time Blocking
Time blocking is a time management system that segments your day into blocks of time. Each block is dedicated to a particular activity or task, ensuring that you allocate the necessary amount of time.
- Physical activity
- Content creation
- Morning routines
- Uninterrupted focus time
- Weekly or monthly responsibilities
3. Automate Processes
When possible, automating tasks is by far the best way. It guarantees execution for you.
- Automatic bill payments
- Using a content publishing tool
- Automatic savings contributions
- Automated follow-ups for prospects
- Automated reminders for client unpaid invoices
With so many tools and software able to integrate with one another, the possibilities are endless.
4. Set Up Automated Alerts
If you can’t fully automate something, the next best thing is to implement automated alerts.
- Snooze an important email
- Phone/watch notifications to move around
- Home lighting to trigger when you should get ready for bed
- When a company metric is below or higher than the ideal threshold
Here’s another awesome alert (if you have an Apple TV)…
In addition to my lights dimming down at 10 PM, if by 10:30 PM I’m still watching a show, my TV will pause. It lets me take a moment to make an intentional decision about the type of night I’m going to have and reminds me of the schedule I’m trying to maintain.
Go ahead and try it:
- Turn processes into checklists
- Start time blocking in your calendar
- Automate all repeatable/predictable tasks
- Set up automated alerts and notifications
See you all next Thursday 👋
PS. Whenever you're ready... Here are three more ways I can help you maximize productivity:
- Steal my Free Notion Task Manager → Get Access
- Access my Notion Personal OS to manage your business & personal life → Learn More
- If you need help mapping, creating & optimizing your systems → Work With Me
More recent posts ⤵️
Delivering high-impact tips every Thursday
Every Thursday, get 1 actionable tip on systems & productivity: