May 18, 2023
Throughout my career, I've come to understand the significance of setting a target and upholding accountability. A target, whether financial, sales-oriented, productivity-focused, or personal, provides direction, focus, and motivation. It's the springboard that propels you forward.
When I first got into business, I was just working… hard. Putting out fires constantly, never really thinking ahead. Growth was stagnant and there was no end in sight.
But as soon as I started to clarify the target and optimize for its achievement, I began to experience real progress. The result was 5x in revenue and fully removing myself from daily operations.
Targets act as your compass, your north star, guiding your business actions and setting a clear direction. When you set a target, you're committing to a path, not just a destination. More importantly, targets are necessary to help you break free from the day-to-day grind of your business.
How do you define your target?
Start by defining what success looks like for you. Is it financial abundance, career fulfillment, or mastering a new language? Once you grasp this, you can create meaningful goals that align with your vision of success.
Then, answer these questions to define it further:
- What is it?
- Why is it important?
- What are the success criteria?
Systems, Leadership, and Accountability: The Trifecta of Success
Having a target isn't merely about setting a goal and hoping it materializes. It involves establishing a support system to reach that goal.
You’re going to need systems to create the necessary amount of time and space to focus on the big picture. This is particularly true for business owners. Prioritizing and time-blocking is a great first step.
Leadership involves guiding your team toward the target. After clarifying the vision, a leader's primary goal is to enable their team by creating the necessary environment for success. This means making sure you not only have the right systems in place, but the right people in the right seats.
And accountability? That’s the binding force, the engine that fuels this journey toward your target. It isn’t about blame or finger-pointing when things go wrong. Instead, it's about creating a culture where everyone owns their part in the journey.
The 90-Day Cycle
Here's the deal - setting a target isn't a one-and-done thing. It's a cycle. Every 90 days, you should revisit your target. The business landscape is ever-evolving; markets fluctuate, opportunities arise, and new challenges emerge.
Revisiting your target quarterly allows for course correction and making necessary adjustments to stay on track. It's also a good time to celebrate achievements and recommit to your goals. This practice keeps your target relevant, achievable and ensures you and your team remain engaged.
Taking Action: Your Roadmap to Growth
- Clarify your success: Understand what success looks like for you and set a clear, specific target that aligns with your vision. Make it measurable.
- Develop a system: Streamline operations to support your journey toward your target. Automate and delegate where possible, and start time-blocking.
- Embrace leadership: Communicate your target clearly and enable your team by creating the necessary environment for success. Make sure the right people are in the right seats.
- Cultivate accountability: Hold yourself and your team accountable for progress. Clarify ownership, celebrate wins, learn from setbacks, and keep moving forward.
- Revisit your target every 90 days: Keep your target relevant and achievable. Adjust and adapt as needed, and focus on the big picture.
Setting targets is the key to escaping the grind, embracing growth, and steering your business toward success. You won’t succeed by accident, and targets are how you get intentional.
Go ahead and try it:
- Define the target
- Implement systems
- Embrace leadership
- Create accountability
- Revisit your target every 90 days
See you all next Thursday 👋
PS. Whenever you're ready... Here are three ways I can help you systemize & automate operations:
- Learn how to find, hire and manage virtual assistants → Free Access
- Systemize company processes & automate accountability → Learn More
- Let me help you automate operations and exit the day-to-day grind → Work With Me
More recent posts ⤵️
Delivering high-impact tips every Thursday
Every Thursday, get 1 actionable tip on systems & productivity: