March 30, 2023
Multitasking is not only a myth. It’s detrimental to even try.
I thought I was good at multitasking... Little did I know I was half as productive as my non-multitasking self.
Turns out that our brains can (scientifically) only focus on one thing at a time. All we can do is rapidly switch between tasks, significantly slowing down productivity.
Have you ever driven to a new address and lowered the volume so you can see the street numbers better? This is because we can only process one thing at a time.
How about basketball players or athletes?
Don’t they process multiple things at once?
No, they actually don’t. They’ve created systems in their brain that run on auto-pilot so that they can focus on who they’re going to pass the ball to without having to think about dribbling.
When you give a basketball to a kid for the first time, their eyes only go to the ball until they begin to build systems for how it’s done. Only one thing takes our direct attention at any given time.
The same principles apply to you and your business.
So, how do we get better at monotasking?
- Batch If you’re going to work on multiple tasks during a single focus session, then make sure that they’re similar in nature. You can read more about batching here.
- Time Block This is how you get intentional. Clarify what you’re going to work on and time block it in your calendar — Dedicate all of your time and attention to one specific goal (and turn off notifications). You can read more about this here.
- Delegate/Outsource The easiest way to get more done is by getting better at asking Who not How. You can read more about this here.
It’s easier to monotask when you’re juggling fewer projects or responsibilities. You’ll achieve this over time by implementing systems for your life and business.
Go ahead and try it:
- Delegate what you can
- Pick one goal for the day
- Time block it in the calendar
See you all next Thursday 👋
PS. Whenever you're ready... Here are three ways I can help you systemize & automate operations:
- Learn how to find, hire and manage virtual assistants → Free Access
- Systemize company processes & automate accountability → Learn More
- Let me help you automate operations and exit the day-to-day grind → Work With Me
More recent posts ⤵️
Delivering high-impact tips every Thursday
Get 1 actionable tip on systems & productivity: