July 7, 2022
Whether you're part of a large team or you’re a Solopreneur, you need to know your Rocks…
What are Rocks?
This is a concept that I’ve learned from the book Traction by Gino Wickman.
Imagine an empty bucket…
And you have a pile of gravel, sand and rocks. The only way you’ll be able to fit as many rocks as possible, into the bucket, is by adding them first.
This is an analogy for what happens during your workday:
- Sand = interruptions
- Gravel is your day-to-day accountabilities
- Rocks are your main priorities
Your Rocks are your most important projects for the next 90 days, and you should prioritize them in the same way.
You need to work on the biggest priorities (your Rocks) first — Everything else will fall into place. If you don’t, they won’t fit in your bucket.
How To Identify Your Rocks:
- Do a brain dump of all existing projects
- Identify those that have to get done this quarter
- Clarify ownership
- Keep, archive, or combine until there are 1-2 Rocks per person
Any Rocks left over on the original list that don’t get picked up can be re-assessed the next quarter. Capture them!
As soon as you’ve identified the Rocks for the quarter, clarify the single next action to push them forward. You can learn more about this here.
If you’d like to check out my project plan template which showcases how I clarify all projects (including Rocks), you can do so here.
See you all next Thursday 👋
PS. Whenever you're ready... Here are three more ways I can help you become your most productive self:
- Access my Free Notion Task Manager → Get Access
- Get my Notion Personal OS to manage your business & personal life → Learn More
- If you need help mapping, creating & optimizing your systems → Work With Me
More recent posts ⤵️
Delivering high-impact tips every Thursday
Every Thursday, get 1 actionable tip on systems & productivity: